Wednesday, March 17, 2010

confused holiday. stereotypical behavior


St. Patrick's Day. In my title I mention stereotypical behavior; I am not referring to the Irish. It is stereotypical of people to celebrate another culture in a way that shows no sense of comprehension.
St. Patrick's Day. When everyone decides they are going to be "Irish" for a day by getting as drunk and rowdy as possible. While I'll agree that this is a typically true stereotype, it does not bode well to attempt to act like that for one night and call it a celebration. When an entire culture acts in this manner in general... well, it's kind of badass. When you try to recreate that donning your shiny green hat... well, you're a douche bag.
St. Patrick's Day in general is a confused holiday... it's an "Irish" celebration, yet really started in America. There is a lot of paganism surrounding this Catholic steeped holiday (see: leprechaun). And although St. Patrick is Ireland's patron saint, not that much is even known about him.

I can attest that there are some positive aspects. Certain cities, like New York (which to my knowledge was one of the first cities to hold a parade) does still have a very respectable parade celebrating the Irish.
It keeps me from going to a bar, as I will not set foot in one on this day.
I think that's the only two positive things...

Sorry for the incredible lack of humor in this post... at least a possible card idea would be to illustrate a bunch of people, clearly not Irish, drinking heavily or passed out. "Happy St. Patrick's Day!"
Or... an Irish cop beating a minority mercilessly (I can stereotype my own people, right?).

----------------
Now playing: Drive-By Truckers - 01 - Daddy Learned To Fly
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here here friend. You hold the same views as I do when "Cinco de Mayo" comes around. I still encounter people that think this day is our Independence Day.I pretty much want to punch them in the face when they say that...

Christine said...

September 16th!!!!! lol