Monday, March 15, 2010

a comic, a card, a chinese girl


Saturday night.
New York City.
Severe rain storm.
What to do, what to do? Well... karaoke in a seedy Chinatown bar, of course!

That's right, some friends and I decided it was time for our occasional (and increasingly often) karaoke outing. The only place we like to go to do this is in a bar in Chinatown... it's shady, it's out of the way, it's always a weird crowd and I'm fascinated with a bartender that I should have absolutely no contact with... so in other words, it's perfect!

Seeing as the drinks are more expensive there than at any bar I frequent, I've become adept to either getting very, very drunk beforehand (see: my birthday two years ago) or bringing a flask full of cheap bourbon. Either way, I seem to always a)make a fool of myself or b)create a very awkward atmosphere (usually with the help of a specific friend).

A month ago, when there during an unusually busy night, I being both drunk upon arrival and having a flask became utterly fixated on the attractive Chinese bartender. She quickly sized up the situation and weaseled me into buying numerous drinks for both herself and I. She's good... I almost never fall for that trick. This time around, I made sure to completely avoid her siren-like abilities. Essentially, I avoided her completely, aside from the occasional dirty look.

So, why on earth do I bring this up, and speak of it on my blog? Sunday morning, while revisiting the night before, I realized that I need to continue working on a comic strip I started on a few months back. It's about a country bear, trying to make it in "Big City", and is of course based on my life... mainly the unsuccessful attempts at picking up the ladies. The whole karaoke scene is exactly the situation I was trying to portray. This bear is just an idiot in social situations.
So, I'm going to be hard at work, and will get some stuff online for your enjoyment as soon as I can! Keep yer ears and eyes open for "grin and bear it" starring bearly!!

More specific to What The Cluck... I did remember somewhere in a drunken haze, between singing I Want You To Want Me and Hank Williams' Lovesick Blues that the last time I was drunk with these friends I came up with a really, really good card idea.
The message is: it's not cheating if you believe in polygamy
I'm very excited to work on this one.

----------------
Now playing: Bap Kennedy - Unforgiven
via FoxyTunes

No comments: